Thursday, August 1, 2013

Action Research Plan

ACTION PLANNING TEMPLATE

GOAL: How does the web-based math program Think Through Math deepen students’ understanding of important math concepts and is it as beneficial for LEP students?

Action Step(s):

Person(s)
Responsible:

Timeline:
Start/End

Needed
Resources

Evaluation
Present Action Research Plan to Math Teachers 3rd-5th
Cassie Koehler
August 19, 2013-August 23, 2013
Sign up sheet
Sign up sheet is created with participating teachers and
their classes listed
Schedule Lab Time for Think Through Math
Cassie Koehler

August 19, 2013-September 13, 2013
Computer Lab sign up calendar
Completed calendar
Determine students’ current math level
Cassie Koehler,
Math teachers 3rd-5th
August 27, 2013-September 6, 2013
Class rosters,
Adaptive Placement Assessment from Think Through Math (online)
Data compiled from the students’ results on the Adaptive Placement
Create “grade-level pathway” for each student
Cassie Koehler,
Math teachers 3rd-5th
August 27, 2013-September 6, 2013
Adaptive Placement results for each student (online)
Think Through Math “assigns appropriate precursor lessons into the student’s individual pathway”
Survey students
Cassie Koehler, 3rd-5th grade students, Math teachers 3rd-5th
August 27, 2013-September 6, 2013
Student Survey
Completed student survey summaries
Interview participating Math teachers 3rd-5th
Cassie Koehler, Math teachers 3rd-5th
September 3, 2013-September 6, 2013
Interview Questions
Completed interview summaries for teachers
Gather and review 1st 9 Weeks data for Math 3rd-5th, share findings with teachers
Cassie Koehler, Math teachers 3rd-5th
October 18, 2013-October 25, 2013
For each student:
Unit tests, math grade for 9 weeks, performance data from Think Through Math
Spreadsheet for each student is completed
Gather and review 2nd 9 Weeks data for Math 3rd-5th
Cassie Koehler, Math teachers 3rd-5th
December 20, 2013-January 8, 2013
For each student: Unit tests, math grade for 9 weeks, performance data from Think Through Math
Spreadsheet for each student is completed
Gather and review 3rd 9 Weeks data for Math 3rd-5th, share findings with teachers

Cassie Koehler, Math teachers 3rd-5th
March 21, 2013-March 28, 2013
For each student: Unit tests, math grade for 9 weeks, performance data from Think Through Math
Spreadsheet for each student is completed
Gather and review 4th 9 Weeks data for Math 3rd-5th, share findings with teachers
Cassie Koehler,
Math teachers 3rd-5th
June 5, 2013- June 12, 2013
For each student: Unit tests, math grade for 9 weeks, performance data from Think Through Math
Spreadsheet for each student is completed
Analyze and Interpret Data
Cassie Koehler
June 12, 2013- July 12, 2012`
Think Through Math performance data, Students’ spreadsheets
Data reports with combined results from students’ grades and Think Through Math
Share results with administration, provide recommendations
Cassie Koehler, Mrs. Moreno (Principal), Mrs. Flack (Assistant Principal), Mrs. Shelnutt (Instructional Coach)
August 4, 2013-August 15, 2013
Data reports
Summarization of administrations' thoughts and opinions over the findings and their consensus about the value of Think Through Math

20 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see you using TTM. It is a FREE program for student in grades 3 and up. I used it some last year but I did not have buy-in from my 3-5 teachers. My 3rd grade teacher used it some for after school tutoring, but did not start at the beginning of school. I like the program and think it has a lot to offer! Good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. Our teachers are always looking for new and effective resources to enhance learning so they are interested to see if this is actually beneficial.

      Delete
  2. Cassie, Your action research plan looks good! I have used TTM in previous classroom settings and I am eager to read your findings. The fidelity with teachers bringing or allowing their students the 25-30 minute time for students to work through the program; was the only challenge that I found in using the TTM program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that will be one of my biggest issues also because as educators we all know things pop up so I will have to gather the data weekly to ensure I keep the participating teachers on track and using the program. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Great job Cassie! Your plan is very clear and easy to understand. On the "analyze and interpret data" step, do you also plan on using STAAR data to see if progress in TTM correlates to STAAR results? I ask because on my campus we had a LOT of students just click answers on TTM until the computer program let them move on so even though TTM showed mastery, it did not translate to STAAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Cherie! I would like to see if progress in TTM correlates to STAAR results so I will add that. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Cassie,

    Your ARP looks good. I did have the same question as Cherie.. and also wanted to know if you were planning on using any other dad within your plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TTM provides a lot of great data specific to each concept, lesson and student so I will use that data along with report card grades, unit tests and STAAR data. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Cassie,
    Your plan looks good. I really like that you are very specific in the evaluation part.
    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plan looks great! The only issue for me is that the font was very, very hard for me to read. It might just be my screen on my laptop or maybe the font just isn't compatible for some reason. But maybe making a clearer, plainer font would make it easier to read. I love that your plan is very detailed. I'm very curious about TTM, as I'm not familiar with it at all. I love finding new ideas to try and can't wait to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the font. It is the font chosen on my blog and not my actual ARP. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. I basically did what you're doing last year. I'm interested in knowing what you discover. Some suggestions:
    1. Track how often the teachers take their classes (they actually get to the lab)
    2. Set up a goal for number of lessons completed. Share this goal with the teachers and students.
    3. You could also set up a goal for the number of pathway lessons -- not the remediation lessons.
    4. I would use the Texas TTM modules. You shouldn't have to create any pathways.
    5. Are you going to make sure the students have the recommended journal for TTM?

    Also, how many classes are you planning on studying? I think you will get a good idea with just one grade level as long as their are two regular or two honors classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Sarah I will definitely keep you in mind when I come across any issues! :) Thank you so much for the suggestions they are so helpful! I won't be making the students have the recommended journal because it will be hard enough to ensure teachers are getting into the lab to do the lessons. I am asking all Math teachers 3rd-5th but I am sure some won't want to participate. One grade level has 2 regular classes, a bilingual class and a class with a few GT kids in it. Do you think that would still be enough students? It would be great if I could downsize it but I just have to see which teachers will actually keep up with TTM. Thanks again!

      Delete
  8. Cassie, your plan looks very detailed oriented! This will be very helpful when school rolls around and you have a million things coming at you at once. When you interview the teachers, what do you plan on interviewing them on? Also, like Sarah said, the teachers that take their students to the lab need to somehow have really good guidance of their students to ensure that students are not just clicking answers, as several of my students did that as well. I am interested in finding out your results- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Lauren! I will just have a few basic questions about their grade level, their prior knowledge of TTM, whether or not they have used TTM before, their opinion of TTM, and their prediction of the effectiveness and benefits of TTM on student progress.

      Delete
  9. Cassie,

    Howdy kiddo, hope all is well! I like your wondering, but I would break it into two ideas: Main and Sub-idea. In one row you have Action Step: Student Survey & Resources Needed: Student Survey...you either should unpack that a bit (is the resource something done prior to the action step) or will you not need anything other than paper/pens/pencils/computers, etc? Lauren suggested detailed instructions for the computer lab teachers which is great. I'd look at doing a group type of teaching to introduce what they'll be doing, maybe make a game out of it, then put them through their paces individually so they're "experienced". Know this, I'm picking nits on these things to try and help my friends out. Overall you have a great plan and I know you'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments Daniel. I really appreciate the extra sets of eyes on my ARP because you all have seen things I have overlooked. I will be making a survey on Surveymonkey so the students will only need a computer and the specified survey. Thanks again!

      Delete
  10. I'm fairly new to TTM, but I like what I have seen so far. How large will your sample size be? I know you noted "participating" teachers, which makes me wonder if not all teachers in all the grade levels will participate. Hopefully, that is not the case, but there is always that one teacher who doesn't want to be flexible! I would want to able to compare at least two classes per grade level. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one grade level that I know will definitely help me with my research but there are other teachers who may not be as receptive so I will have to see. I want to make sure whoever is participating takes it seriously so that I can get accurate results. Thanks for your comments SuAn! :)

      Delete
  11. Cassie,

    Our district just started TTM this year, I am interested to know your research on how effecient this program in your school. I think your research is very important not only to the teachers but most of all to the students who will benefit more on your action research. I really like the details you have put into the plan. I think it is very important, well thought and comprehensive. There are a of good data that you will be collected in various formats. Good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete