Thursday, July 18, 2013

What I've learned about Action Research and how I might be able to use it.

I have definitely learned a lot about action research (also known as administrator inquiry) in this first week.  I did not understand the significance of this process until I read Nancy Dana's Leading With Passion and Knowledge and Examining What We Do To Improve Our School: 8 Steps From Anaylsis to Action by Sandra Harris, Stacey Edmonson, and Julie Combs.  Both of these books were excellent resources for understanding the importance of action research and ways it could be implemented in my leadership practices.  I believe that it is imperative to perform continuous administrator inquiries in order to be an effective leader and provide a school environment that is conducive to successful teaching and learning.  Dana (2009) stressed the importance of making time for inquiry as a principal when she stated, "Even though it is difficult to take the time to inquire, if you make a commitment and safeguard a little time each week to engage in the process, you'll feel better, make important administrative decisions in a more informed, thoughtful way, and return to the never-ending demands of the principalship with more energy to face the challenges of each school day" (pp. 15-16).  I emphatically agree with Dana and her reasoning behind making time for administrator inquiry.  A successful leader must make time to evaluate their own effectiveness and not be afraid to make changes to their leadership style.  Harris et. al (2010) expressed the necessity of inquiry by explaining that, "inquiry is an essential component in order to establish a firm foundation for school improvement" (pg. 5).  As administrators, we will all strive for school improvement and success and the implementation of action research is necessary to reach those goals and expectations.  I will most definitely be using action research daily in order to ensure that I am doing all I can to provide a climate and culture that supports successful growth and development for my faculty and students.  I want to incorporate the things I have learned thus far about action research into the formation of my leadership style so that I can be confident in my role as the leader of my school.  I want to lead by example, and if my teachers can see that I am unashamedly critiquing myself and my methods then maybe it will motivate and cultivate self inquiry among my faculty.

7 comments:

  1. Cassie,

    I really like how real you are. It seems like you genuinely want to do right by your staff. "unashamedly critiquing myself" - I love this and wish my administrators would take on this mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie,
    I agree, I think we can all learn a lot about ourselves and we sometimes don't want to acknowledge our weaknesses. I also want to incorporate action research into my leadership style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie, if all administrators thrived to have the same action research goals as you, our schools would be excellent! You are definitely an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your take on Action Research I agree that reflection is important and administrator inquiry should be an ongoing process. Have you figured out what you are going to do as an action research project?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I one hundred percent agree that a great administrator will "lead by example". I am so fortunate to work for a great principal who is a great example of integrity in the workplace. I hope as we all gain insight to the roles of administrators, we will keep true to ourselves and be life-long learners. Using action research will help us in this quest - if we constantly evaluate our effectiveness, we will be more successful leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you...I didn't know anything about action research and through reading the two texts, I learned a lot. I will also use action research as a future administrator. The Dana text had good points and reasoning for using action research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much everyone! I truly appreciate the kind words. I truly believe that in order gain the respect of your staff you have to earn it. I want to be relatable, considerate, inspirational, motivational and still be a strong leader who is well respected. I will be the first person to admit when I don't understand something or have made a mistake because no one is perfect. Just because we will be administrators one day does not make us better or smarter than our staff and sadly I have had a principal who looked down on us lowly teachers. You get what you give and I will always remember that especially when I am the leader of my campus.

    ReplyDelete