Monday, September 30, 2013

This is an update on my current Action Research Plan.

Action Research Project Title: How does the web-based math program Think Through Math deepen students’ understanding of important math concepts and is it as beneficial for LEP students?

I presented my Action Research Plan to the two 4th grade Math teachers and they agreed to participate and provide the data I need from their students to successfully complete my action research plan.  I helped the two participating teachers to schedule lab time for their classes in order for them to complete the Think Through Math computer program.  The teachers and I sat down and discussed each students’ current math level and had the students take the adaptive placement assessment through Think Through Math.  Based off of the students’ results on the adaptive placement assessment and their STAAR math results from last year we created a “grade-level pathway” for each student.  Students completed my survey about their previous involvement and perceptions of Think Through Math.   The two participating teachers allowed me to interview them and answered my questions about their perceptions and experience with Think Through Math.  Both have used the program before and like how they get immediate data and feedback on each of their students’ progress through the Think Through Math program.  They were both hopeful that the individualized learning “pathway” designed by the Think Through Math program for each student would prove to be beneficial and help supplement their teaching.  As our 1st 9 weeks comes to an end I will be gathering and reviewing the students’ 1st 9 weeks Unit tests, math grade and performance data from Think Through Math to assess whether Think Through Math has been beneficial thus far.  I will share my findings with their respective Math teacher and decide if we need to alter their learning “pathway” assigned to them by Think Through Math.

No comments:

Post a Comment